Saturday, July 31, 2010

Ethnography

Out of all the research methods listed in table 13.3 I find ethnography the most interesting. I got my first glimpse of the ethnography method last semester in my Comm100W class, and ever since found it interesting. I did not take the opportunity to research using the ethnography method because I was unsure of what it was, but once I learned (both in my Comm100W class and in this chapter) I have been intrigued. The idea of being able to be a part of my research and immersing myself into a new, or old, culture to observe is exciting to me. Having the option of taking one of two roles helps to not over stress one self in the researching situation. I also like the idea of conclusions emerging from the observations being made.
Assuming I want to study an aspect of deception I would ask, “What are the primary uses that deception is used for in a college classroom?” I would use ethnography for my method because I would be able to be a part of a classroom environment without disturbing the natural feel of the class. I would be able to observe and find my conclusions through taking part of the class.

1 comment:

  1. I find that your investigation into deception, questioning its presence and use in a classroom, is very interesting. I think that as college students we become almost trapped into these systems of procedures that can be very deceptive. Some students are very open and trusting to everything they hear or are taught in school. "When does deception begin interfering with the progress of a student in college?", would be another good question. I feel that deception can lead to extra stress and feelings of pressure that cause a student to falter in their confidence. I have been in deceptive situations in classes and programs in college, so I would be interesting in the findings of your research if the opportunity arose for this experiment.

    ReplyDelete