Thursday, August 12, 2010

Favorite Concept :D

My absolute favorite concept of this semester would have to be the idea of our world being a global village. It is my favorite because it rings so true in my eyes. I feel as though because of the technologies of our society we are able to connect to people all around the world in just seconds, thus us being a global village.
I agree with the book when it says that our world is “shrinking daily,” and that “intercultural encounters are commonplace (pg. 348).” An example of living in a global village is taking place right now. I am in Hawaii for a family vacation and it is very interesting to see all the different cultures around me. I hear many different languages all day that I am able to listen to as well as observe.
I also agree our sense of distance and place changes with the technologies of today. If I continue on the topic of my family vacation, I was able to be in San Francisco, CA in the morning and in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in Honolulu, HI in the afternoon. Due to this being a possibility our perception of distance and place has changed from years ago. As our technologies advance, our mind sets advance. We are able to physically go see where history was made instead of just reading it.
Living in a global village is very true. I love the concept and am happy to be able to share it with the people in my life. I know I will use this idea for the rest of my life and continue to revisit it on an every day basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment