Thursday, August 12, 2010

Interesting

One of the most interesting concepts I found in this class was nonverbal communication. I found this concept intriguing because it is something we are doing all the time. I enjoyed learning about the nonverbal codes, messages, and cues. I related to the emblems because I see my friends and I using them often. Emblems are, as the book states, “kinesic behaviors whose direct verbal translations are known to all of the members of a social group, emblems are like silent words (pg. 115).” Examples are “what time is it?,” “shame on you,” “wait a minute,” “I cant hear you,” etc. I also enjoyed reading about the regulators, which “consist of head nods and eye and hand movements that allow us to maintain, request, or deny others a turn to talk (pg. 116).” I again use these all the time.
It is funny to think that everything we do gets analyzed in the communication field and than we get to learn about them. It is very interesting to read about things I have done or do and learn more about what I am actually using them for.

No comments:

Post a Comment